Johnson & Johnson looks to acquire Ci:z Holdings Co. Ltd for up to $2.05bn
Johnson & Johnson has agreed to acquire Japanese company Ci:z Holdings Co., Ltd., which focuses on the marketing, development and distribution of a broad range of dermocosmetic, cosmetic and skincare products.
The move follows a significant trend, where pharmaceutical companies have sought to expand their presence across Asia, which is becoming a hotbed of innovation, particularly within healthcare and cosmetics.
The business has provided an all-cash offer to acquire all outstanding shares and its affiliates for approximately ¥230bn. The acquisition will include the company's range of brands comprising Dr.Ci:Labo, Labo Labo and Genomer line of skincare products.
- Bain Capital and Pfizer launch a new biopharma company
- Walgreens and McLaren Health Care enter a new partnership
- Securing medical IoT layer by layer
The acquisition will strengthen Johnson & Johnson's market presence in Japan with key customers, and more broadly bolster its offering in science-based, efficacious dermocosmetic brands.
"Health and beauty consumers are actively seeking science-based innovation to improve their skin," said Jorge Mesquita, Worldwide Chairman, Johnson & Johnson Consumer. "This transaction will maximise value creation for Johnson & Johnson's Consumer business by bringing in an agile innovation model and rapidly accelerating sales through our global commercialisation expertise."
The transaction will deliver a significant and immediate premium to the company's shareholders and enhance long-term growth and value creation of the Johnson & Johnson Consumer business. it will also be a springboard to build Johnson & Johnson Consumer's connected commerce capabilities by leveraging one of the largest customer relationship management databases for direct-to-consumer skincare and improve its retail presence through well-established distribution networks.
The tender offer is expected to close in the first quarter of 2019.
- Lifetime of Achievement Award: Joaquin DuatoMedical Devices & Pharma
- Pfizer and GSK are merging their consumer health units, leading to $12.7bn in combined salesDigital Healthcare
- Boston Scientific announces its acquisition of BTG for $4.2bnMedical Devices & Pharma
- TIAA Bank acquires $1.5bn healthcare equipment financing portfolio from GE CapitalDigital Healthcare