[INFOGRAPHIC] Disease, Diet and Nutrition in the United States
Every year, the CDC collects behavioral health risk data via telephone surveys at the state and local level. The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) produces a powerful public data set for analyzing geographic trends in population health.
Created by Burlington, Mass.-based Arcadia Healthcare Solutions, the infographic below offers a visual representation of said data.
“At the top, a series of four maps shade states based on the percentage of the population that meet the survey criteria for the individual factor. At the bottom, those graphs are overlaid and colors are averaged, revealing the dominant health challenges facing each state,” wrote Arcadia.
“The Northwest and Northeast states are mostly teal, indicating they are otherwise healthy, but suffer depression more than most. Many southern states, specifically those away from the coast, have multiple overlapping health challenges and are shaded deep red or even black. Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Minnesota and Illinois stand out as being some of the healthiest states.”
While the infographic was simplified for visual effect, the measurements were based on the following responses to the BRFSS survey questions:
1. Diabetes: (Q5.13) Responded “Yes” or “Pre-Diabetes/Borderline Diabetes” to “Were you ever told you have diabetes?”
2. Depression: (Q5.10) Responded “Yes” to “Were you ever told you have a depressive disorder?”
3. Nutrition: (M8.4) Responded “At least once per week” to “During the past month… did you eat dark green vegetables…?”
4. Exercise: (Q4.1) Responded “Yes” to “During the past month, other than your regular job, did you participate in any physical activities or exercises…?”
- From finance to healthcare: 5 fintech trends that will benefit digital health productsTechnology & AI
- Microsoft files a patent for a new innovative blood pressure monitorTechnology & AI
- Who should be responsible for the implementation of health wearables?Technology & AI
- Natural Cycles raises $30B in Series B fundingTechnology & AI